Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Reluctant Philatelist begins....

What is a reluctant philatelist?  I believe it is a stamp collector that is in it for fun, not to be bound by the stuffiness of the hobby.  More serious philatelists zero in on a particular area of the hobby, which enables them to put together high quality exhibits.  These exhibits are put on display at various stamp shows and are judged by a panel of experts.  This is all good and well, but I believe this is not for the faint of heart (or the broke of wallet).  Exhibitors are usually very serious, spend lots of money acquiring material for their exhibits, and spend tons of time of research.

Let me share with you a less serious side of the hobby.  Before I do, I need to share my story about how I got started in the hobby.  My husband dabbled in philately in his youth, mostly because well meaning adults had first day covers sent to him.  Well into adulthood, his mother found his material and insisted he take it home.  I think all empty nest mothers begin a mission to clear out their children's "stuff" as soon as they can.  Years later, hubby saw an advertisement in a local paper for a stamp show in the area.  He grabbed our youngest son and off they went to the show, mostly to see what it was all about.  While there, they both joined the local club that sponsored the show. After a while, I was curious about what this was all about, so I began attending meetings with them.  The rest, as they say, is history.  I was completely hooked.  However, I was hooked in a different way than the serious collectors.  I was having fun!

Instead of exhibiting, I enjoy looking at the beautiful and interesting exhibits.  I believe in being active in any group that I'm involved in, so I give back to my club, the West Suburban Stamp Club.  I am currently the secretary and newsletter editor.  I also serve on the committee that puts together our annual show, The Plymouth Show.  My husband and I have taken several vacations attending stamp shows in various parts of the country.  I probably spend more time talking with other collectors at stamps shows than I do searching for stamps and covers.  I enjoy attending our local club meetings and the presentations by members and guests.  These presentations have allowed me to learn about the hobby.  I have also learned a lot about art, history and culture along the way.

I know that I will probably never pull an exhibit together, but if you want to have fun, learn about history and culture, and meet some pretty nice people, come along with me.

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Great, almost near my case! I started it just because my older brother told me, that I don't understand nothing in philately. With time, I start to collect something for me, but never made any exhibit or made some frame for exhibit - I just do it for fun.

    Yes, I collect, yes I sell, yes I deal, yes I fill want-list for my client - but never to be some "name" in this field - I really like, when I can help, meet people, talk with collectors and inform collectors about anything related to my philately and to "countries" that I have in stock.

    It is in some way, same like You - I don't made it because I have some "gene" for philately, or wanted to be "famous" exhibitor - just, because - it make me feel good when I have contact with "People That Know What Philately Is"!

    best regards to all
    Milco
    http://picasaweb.google.com/balkanstamp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Blogger,

    Hope you are fine. We are Bloggers Mind, India's Post's social media
    partners for the upcoming Indipex 2011 event to be held in Delhi between
    February 12th to 18th. We are running a Facebook page
    http://facebook.com/indipex2011 and Twitter http://twitter.com/indipex2011/.
    We came across your blog and found it very engaging. As you are a philately
    enthusiast we would like to join hands with you for promotions of Indipex
    2011. We are doing a contest on our Facebook page and would like your
    support on the same and we can conduct the same contest on your blog for
    your followers.

    Please give us your contact details so we can give you more details on the
    activity.

    Looking forward to your response and make philately an enjoyable experience.

    Regards,
    Aditya Vaidyanathan
    aditya.vaidyanathan@bloggersmind.com

    ReplyDelete