Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Fun Continues...

Yes, it really is possible to have fun as a stamp collector.  Yesterday we (hubby and I) planned on attending the Ann Arbor Stamp Club's show, formerly known as AAPEX and head downtown for dinner.  I think this is the second best stamp show in the entire state (second only to The Plymouth Show, of course).  AAPEX is a well done show, from the venue, to the dealers, to the exhibits, to the friendly people that greet you at the door.  I decided I was going to go to this show without a checklist (a list of needed stamps or covers for a particular collecting interest).  Instead, I was going to tail hubby to see what he likes to look at lately.  This worked for a while, and it enabled me to chat with some of the dealers.  I try to be considerate of dealers that have customers at their tables, and don't like my chit-chatting to take away from their sales.  However, it was inevitable that hubby and I would eventually get separated.  Hubby (whose name is Tim, by the way) was looking through Mark Vervake's table.  Mark runs Sterling Stamps in Brighton, Michigan, and usually has something that Tim or I can use.  While Tim was there, I was summoned over to John Leszak's booth (he runs The Cover Connection in Buffalo, New York).  John knows that one of the things that I like to collect are British slogan cancels (envelopes mailed from England with cancellations that contain various slogans or social messages).  He told me that he had quite a lot of material for me to look through.  So, I sat and looked through two large tubs of covers, and managed to find a few cancels that I did not already have plus a really cute postcard.  The reason I bring this up is that I love it when dealers know what you collect and they bring stuff for you.  That's when it gets good folks.  Our final stop was when I caught up with Tim at Telah W. Smith's table.  Telah has an associate, Steve Klein, that works with him.  These two guys are really nice, and their material is well organized and fairly priced.  

So, did we make it to downtown Ann Arbor for dinner?  Nope.  Turns out there was a University of Michigan home game, and it was suggested to me that we steer clear of the downtown area.  So, we hightailed it home with our goodies in hand.  On the way home, I reflected on what a FUN time I had.  If you are in Ann Arbor on the first weekend of November next year, stop by.

Until next time.....

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I have read about you at Stamp Collecting Roundup.

    Please visit my websites.
    Online philatelic exhibiting/sharing/blogging is better than offline shows, for many reasons.
    Best wishes! :)

    ReplyDelete