Wednesday, June 1, 2011

C'mon People

Please pardon me for bringing up a matter about which I am very enthusiastic, and not reluctant at all.  I feel that one should be involved in any organization one is associated with.  In other words, if you belong to a club, get off your duff and contribute.  There are several members of the West Suburban Stamp Club that contribute in very important ways.  They go over and above and take their duties seriously.  These people are the heart and soul of the club, and as long as they are around the club will remain a viable one.  However, there are a lot of people that do not go over and above, if fact they make no contribution whatsoever.  They feel that their $12.00 annual dues is their contribution.  If these individuals receive a mailed vs. e-mailed monthly newsletter, the $12.00 does not even cover the cost of printing and mailing it.  Since they do not contribute in any other way, they could be considered a drain on the club.  These are also the same people that seem to stir up trouble and gripe a lot.

Why do I bring this up and why am I so fired up about it?  The club is in the midst of its annual elections, and once again we managed to get enough people to run for office to present a ballot to the membership.  Every year there is not more than one person listed for any position.  The Election Committee, although serious about their duties, cannot seem to find people to want to run for office.  The offices of President, Vice President, Junior Vice President, and two trustees must be voted on each year, and no one can hold these offices for more than two consecutive years.  The offices of Secretary and Treasurer also must be voted on each year, but do not have term limits for consistency sake.  The Secretary and Treasurer are jokingly referred to as Secretary for Life or Treasurer for Life.  That's okay with me, because I like being Secretary and I feel our Treasurer is top notch.

Why is it so difficult to get people to run for office?  Or maybe the question should be why don't people WANT to run?  I like my position, but I would welcome a little healthy competition.  If we had at least two people run for each office, I think we could get more people to vote.  More importantly, I feel that the true wishes of the club would be expressed by putting officers in place they feel are worthy of each position.

What do you do in other clubs you're involved with?  Do you have this problem?  What ideas do you have to motivate members to become more involved?  I welcome your feedback.

2 comments:

  1. You know Sandy, I have no clue about stamps or their associated clubs, but I could relate STRONGLY with what you are describing, as this is the same phenomenon that strikes every group of which I've ever been a part. There are a few who do the most, and the most who do little or nothing - yet inversely it is those most who complain and cause trouble for the few who are actually out there doing the work. Even when it is work that we are passionate about and love to do, it is disheartening when those who aren't involved simply sit back and stir up trouble and gripe a lot.

    But it is the few, the doers, who are rewarded for what they do, who are fulfilling their passion, and who continually reap the benefits of their loving toils. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Sherry! Thanks for the feedback. I know what you mean about the rewards part. I can definitely sleep at night knowing that I make a difference.

    ReplyDelete